Our Wurlitzer organ was originally installed in the Gaumont Cinema, Oldham, Lancashire in 1937. The Gaumont eventually closed on the 2nd December 1961 and the organ was purchased by the Cinema Organ Society. The organs first new home was the Dale Hall at Hampsthwaite, near Harrogate, North Yorkshire. It took four years to install the organ and it was heard for the first time in public on the 26th February 1966. The organ stayed in this location for 22 years and was used for concerts and private practice. One young player who used it for practice was Phil Kelsall. The final concert at Hampsthwaite was on the 3rd December 1988. The organ was then installed in the Trinity Arts Centre in Pudsey, a suburb of Leeds, where it was opened on the 30th June 1991, but unfortunately this venue did not live up to expectations and by December 1994 removal commenced. Successful negotiations enabled installation to start at the Ritz Ballroom in Brighouse. This former cinema was built with organ chambers at either side of the proscenium, together with decorative plaster grilles, fronting the chamber shades. For various reasons, the organ was removed from the ballroom and placed in storage in 2006. Our new home is the Victoria Hall in Saltaire, Victoria Hall which is a grade 2* listed building, it is located at the centre of Sir Titus Salt's historic village. The Victoria Hall was opened in 1869 as a place of recreation, culture and learning for the local community, the main hall has a sprung dance floor and 10 metre high ceilings. The Wurlitzer is now used regularly for concerts and various other functions.
Click on the map and drag around to get a better idea of where our venue is. You can also zoom in. Click on the marker to see address details.
|April 8th||Howard Beaumont|
|March 10th||David Lowe|
|April 14th||Andy Quin (more details)|
|August 11th||Michael Carter|
|December 8th||Robert Wolfe|
|February 9th||Nicholas Martin B.E.M. (more details)|
|April 12th||Chris Powell|
|November 8th||Robert Wolfe|
|December 13th||Michael Wooldridge|